The Bleja has been in development for over 3-years, taking time to perfect a new locking mechanism with full liners for a strong and reliable utility folder.
All the standard features of a Helle fixed blade are tucked into this compact yet robust mid-sized utility knife for everyday carry. Featuring a drop point blade made of Helle’s renowned triple laminated stainless steel with a razor sharp Scandinavian grind and natural curly birch wood. The countered, slim handle yields positive control for carving.
- Helle knives are designed to retain their sharpness as a lifelong outdoors companion. But it is still important to take care of your knife.
- The Handle. Dry the handle with a soft cloth if wet and wax occasionally.
- The Blade. Wipe the blade with a soft cloth if wet and treat with grease occasionally.
- Use a diamond tool or a wet stone for sharpening. Place the knife bevel flat to the sharpening tool and work the entire blade. Work one side until you can feel a slight burr on the opposite side. Switch side and repeat the procedure until you feel the burr on the first side. You have now established an edge.
- Remove the burr by stroking the blade gently over the sharpening surface on both sides, as if cutting very thin slices. Keep the bevel flat towards the sharpener and move from side to side until the burr is gone.
- If the blade is very dull or damaged, use a fine-grained grindstone and plenty of water and sharpen until you have a raw edge. Use much cooling liquid and never sharpen on a dry stone. A hot-ground edge looses its heat treatment and ruins the blade.
We make honest knives. In a way you could argue that everybody who works at Helle is also a member of their R&D department. They are all leading lives in the rugged Norwegian mountains and fjords and actually use the knives that they make. None of us would accept a knife that does not work as intended, or a knife with some useless gimmick.
To design a Helle knife the designer needs to understand and appreciate how a knife should work in real life. And for the same reason you should also argue that everybody at Helle is a member of the Helle quality team.